Monday, March 10, 2008

Butterless Banana Muffins


I am in love with banana muffins and banana bread, but not in love with fat filled desserts (I need to wear a swimsuit in a month!). Now I was unable to find a low fat banana muffin recipe that was still as good as the regular recipe, so I set out on a mission to make my own. The result was the following recipe, that is delicious, even my Hubby loves these muffins.

INGREDIENTS:
3 large mashed ripe bananas (~1.5 cups)
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour.

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mash the bananas, then add applesauce sugar and egg. Mix well with the masher.
2. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients before adding them to the banana mixture.
3. Fill muffin tins/muffin cups with batter. Bake at 375F for 20 minutes.


REVIEWS:
Note: I added chocolate chips to half the batter for my Husband, he loves chocolate chips in his banana bread and muffins. These are super good as well, and my Hubby can't tell the difference between them and the regular oil/butter recipes.
I LOVED these muffins, and think they are one of the best banana muffins I have ever made.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

These are AWESOME!! thanks so much, trying to cook without so much fat/butter these days. I have crohns and cant do dairy any more, and fruits/vegggie must be cooked well.

VikkiB said...

I am glad you enjoyed them! It is always a challenge to eat around dietary issues, so I am happy these worked for you.

Anonymous said...

OK - So I'm on a diet (same swimsuit problem) and had an awful chocolate craving. Refusing to go for my Dairy Queen mini-Blizzard fall back, I decided to actually use the bananas getting browner by the day in my house. This recipe is awesome (with the chocolate chips of course).

I did make a couple changes - I only had 1 individual sized cinnamon applesauce, which was pre-sweetened of course. So I like sweet things and just let that ride. I also used unpacked dark brown sugar instead of white. Delicious.

My only suggestion for others who are trying to make these, avoid muffin liners. The muffins are sticking to the paper is all. I would opt for spraying the actual muffin tins next time.

THANKS SO MUCH!