Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Chocolate Chip Blondie


My husband is a huge brownie fan, and try as I might to convert him to cookies or cupcakes he is still stuck on brownies. He loves marshmallow brownies - I don't get it, they are good, but I don't get the love affair he has with them. When browsing around on allrecipes.com one day I came across a recipe for Disappearing Marshmallow Brownies. I thought it would be interesting to try a new marshmallow brownie recipe for O.

Anyways, I would not call these brownies, in my mind a brownie is chocolate and a nice rich brown. These however are a butterscotch flavour and a golden color - and while they are very tasty and I can't bring myself to call them a brownie, so I will henceforth refer to this yummy square as a chocolate chip blondie.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup butterscotch chips
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

How to:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper (or grease it).
2. Using a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butterscotch chips and butter together in the microwave, stirring occasionally until chips are smooth. (The recipe said it should be smooth, but I didn't get all my butter to work in, and was left with a layer of butter on the top. It didn't seem to hurt anything though, so don't worry about it too much). Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix in the melted butterscotch chips, then the flour, baking powder, and salt until smooth.
4. Stir in the marshmallows and chocolate chips last. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
5.Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in preheated oven. Cool, and cut into squares.

Reviews:
I took 1/2 of these to my friends cabin when we visited on the weekend and they didn't last long! Everyone loved them, and couldn't seem to get enough. The second half went with my husband to work - weeks later I came by and people were still telling me that they were amazing. I don't know if these will replace the marshmallow brownies my husband so loves, but they might give them a run for their money.

No comments: