Sunday, August 16, 2009

Freezing Cherries Take 1


I have a lot of cherries around the house and not enough baking projects right now to use them all. I know that everyone says to just eat them, but there are only so many cherries I can eat before I start feeling a little sick. I decided to try freezing the cherries, and having never froze cherries before and reading a bunch of different ways, I decided to try freezing them with and without a syrup. The first is without a syrup:

1. Wash and stem the cherries. Then pit the cherries and lay out flat on a baking sheet.
2. Place the baking sheet into the freezer until the cherries are frozen and firm.
3. Once the cherries are frozen, measure them into freezer bags. Squeeze as much air as possible out of the bags and seal. I did bags of 6 cups (pies and cobblers), 2 cups (muffins, breads ect) and one bag of 1 cup (brownies).
4. Label the bags and place them back into the freezer. I think these should last for 6 to 12 months.

I look forward to be able do some baking with these later this fall/winter.

No comments: