Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fresh Cherry Cobbler


Alright, so I had still more cherries left in my fridge, they were getting to point that they absolutely had to be used in the next day or so, and I was at the point were my stomach was letting me that under no circumstance should I be eating even a quarter of the amount left. So, what do I do with all these cherries? That is right – I bake something, that way the hubs will consume it or share with the boys at work, and I no longer have to worry about it.

I did some googling and came across bakin’ and eggs, and a yummy looking recipe for Fresh Cherry Cobbler.

Filling:

5 cups Bing cherries, pitted

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

4-5 teaspoons cornstarch

Topping:

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon cinnamon

3 tablespoons cold butter

1 egg, lightly beaten

3 tablespoons milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 2 quart baking pan
In a saucepan over medium-high heat mix together the filling ingredients and cook until bubbling and thickened – about 10 minutes, stiring frequently. (Start with 3 teaspoons of cornstarch and add more if the mixture is not thickening – remember it will thicken a little more when it cooks in the oven and when it cools).
Pour filling into the prepared baking pan.
While the filing is cooking mix together the flour, sugar, baking poweder and cinnamon in a new bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture become crummy (not bad, just looks like crums).
In another bowl combine the egg and milk. Then stir the mix into the flour mixture until just combined.
Top cherry filling with tablespoons of dough. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until topping is golden in color.
Serve with ice cream.


Reviews:
Hubs and his friends enjoyed it. I don’t know if cherry cobbler isn’t the hubs favorite or if he has been overwhelmed by all the fruit and new things in the house lately, but it actually lasted for more than a day! He says it was great, so I am going with he has to much food going on in the house.

No comments: