Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

This jam was a special request from my father. They have a large patch of rhubarb at their house, and when asked if they would like me to do something with some of it, I was promptly told to make some jam. Strawberry rhubarb is one of my Dad’s favourite jams and he usually makes a batch every year. This year I did it for him. When asked what recipe he uses, I was told he used the certo recipe, and loves it. So I once again pulled out the insert sheet from a box of certo and got to work.
Ingredients:
2 cups crushed strawberries
1 ½ cups chopped rhubarb
6 ½ ups granulated sugar
1 pouch ceto liquid pectin
5-6 1 cup (1/2 pint) sterilized jars and lids.

How to:
1.Mix the sugar and fruit in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a hard boil (doesn’t stop boiling when stirred). Continue boiling for 1 minute while stirring.
2.Remove the pot from heat and stir in the liquid pectin. Stir and skim off the foam for about 5 mintues (this lets the jam cool a little and thicken so all the fruit doesn’t float to the top).
3.Pour the jam into sterilized warm jars, up to about ¼” from the rims. Place the lids on and leave sit at room temperature to cool and set.
4.Check the lids to insure they have sealed – press gently in the middle of the lid, if it moves up and down your jar is not sealed. It is still alright as long as you put it in the fridge and use it right away.

Reviews:
I ended up with only a single jar of this at home, as most was left for my parents to enjoy. Iza grabbed the jar that hadn’t sealed properly and she is probably almost done that by now. Everyone seems to really love this jam, and I will admit it is tasty (after I pick out the fruit chunks).

No comments: