Saturday, November 21, 2009

“Red” Chocolate Cookies


The bulldogs played last night, and that means cookies. I took suggestions this week, as I wasn’t really sure what to do. What I got from the boys on the team was “chocolate something”. When Owen saw this, he suggested trying beet cookies – remembering the beet cake I had made a couple months back.

For this I wanted something with a lot of chocolate flavour, and more of a brownie feel. I found a beet brownie recipe, mixed it up and cooked ½ as brownies to see what they came out like. Then I got down to some modifying of the cookies until I ended up with something I thought I could feed to people.

“Red” Chocolate Cookies – makes 2-3 doz cookies.
Ingredients
¼ cup butter
2 oz chocolate (70 to 80% cocoa)
2 eggs
1 ½ cup brown sugar
½ cup applesauce
½ cup beets
2 ½ cups flour
¼ cup coco powder
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking powder

Optional Additions
Mini marshmallows
White chocolate chips

Directions:
1.On the stove melt the butter and chocolate together. Let it cool a little while you beat the eggs until they are light and foamy.
2.Add the sugar and vanilla to the eggs, beating before adding the chocolate mixture, applesauce and beets. Beat until well mixed
3.Stir in the flour, spices, baking powder and cocoa powder.
4.Fold in the mini marshmallows and chocolate chips if you so choose.
5.Drop by full teaspoons onto a baking sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper and had no problem with sticking).
6.Bake at 350F for about 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Reviews:
Both versions of the cookies got great reviews (with the marshmallow and chips, and without), and surprisingly the hockey team seemed to go for the plain ones. Apparently they were a little unsure of the puffed up and cratered marshmallows.

I will say this, there is still a little bit of a beet taste to the cookies. Most people didn’t notice until they were really thinking about it trying to guess what the “secret” ingredient was. However if you are not a fan of beets (like me) and you know it is there, these may not be your favorite cookie.

Bulldogs:
They won the game 9-7, and have a 4 game winning streak! Apparently the cookies are working (riiiiiight).

This week, I asked the boys what cookies they would like next week and got the following instructions:
Novembery
Frosted Flakes
Caramel
Marshallow
“monster” cookies (he didn’t know that this was actually a cookie)

If any of you can come up with a cookie idea that combines those instructions, I would very grateful.

No comments: