Sunday, November 29, 2009

Roast Rice Milanese




I got this recipe out of the Companies Coming Rookie Cookbook. It is delicious, and I have played a little with it to make it a little more versatile. This recipe is great and it is what I always plan for the day after having roast for supper.

I have made this and had it turn out great with both beef and venison. Also instead of using roast leftovers, I have finely chopped stew chunks and fried the small chunks.

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 small onion (finely chopped)
¼ cup margarine (Don’t use butter, it will brown too fast)
1 cup meat, coarsely chopped (beef, venison, moose roast or fried stew meat)
2 ½ cups water
1 tbsp beef bullion
¼ tsp pepper (Owen likes a little more, go with what you like)
1 tbsp Parsley flakes
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
*. If using stew chunks or other uncooked meat, fry them until cooked in a fry pan on medium high heat. You can either remove them when cooked or leave them to cook a little with the rice and onion.
1. Combine the rice, onion and margarine in a fry pan over medium high heat and sauté until the rice and onion have a golden colour.
2. Add the meat, water, beef bullion, pepper and parsley. Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and let simmer until the rice is tender (about 15 minutes).
3. Stir in the parmesan cheese and serve.

Reviews:
I like this as a quick meal and it is one of Owen’s favorite. When I first started making this dish, he asked for it at least once a week and I had to double the recipe when I made it.

I like to put some roast leftovers chopped and measured into the freezer, then I can thaw it as I brown the rice and supper is done in 20 minutes!

No comments: