Sunday, November 22, 2009

Slow cooker Venison Roast



Friends of ours were coming over for dinner and while looking through my freezer for the pheasants (my original meal plan) I accidently tore the wrapping on a roast. I didn’t want it to freezer burn or anything so the plan changed – I was cooking roast. I was not upset by the change as the roast is a lot less work and I already had a great plan for the leftovers.
I let the roast thaw overnight and the next day I threw it into the slowcooker with a few ingredients. All that was left before supper was to make mashed potatoes and cook the beans, which gave both my husband I more time to visit with our friends.
Slow Cooker Venison (slightly adapted from Allrecipes)
Ingredients:
1 2-4 lb roast
1 onion sliced
1 tbsp soy sauce
½ tbsp worcestershire sauce
½ tbsp garlic salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 pkg onion soup mix (like lipton)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 tbsp flour
¼ cup water

Directions:
Place the roast in the slow cooker and cover it with onions, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce garlic salt and pepper.
In a bowl mix together the onion soup mix and the mushroom soup. Pour it over the roast.
Let the roast cook on low for 6-7 hours, until the internal temp is 140F to 170F. A lot of this will depend on the size of your roast and how well you like it done
Remove the roast and slice on a cutting board. While it is resting(before cutting) strain the onions (if you wish) from the liquid. Mix the water and flour to form a slurry, and pour into the liquid to make a gravy. This will be a thin gravy but thickens a little as it cools. However, it is delicious.

Reviews:
This was a great supper, it really didn’t take much effort at all and the meal was enjoyed by everyone – even our friend who doesn’t eat much (if any) red meat (Don’t worry I cooked a tuna steak for her – recipe to come later).

No comments: