Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hashbrown Egg Casserole


It has been snowing here (a lot) and it has been cold. This combination has made my desire to go grocery shopping almost nonexistant. I have been trying to stretch the distance between shopping trips as much as I can, as all I want to do after work is to come home, curl up with a warm blanket and a good book while trying to stay warm. This recipe came up as a result of an almost empty fridge and a refusal to go out into the cold for more ingredients. It is a variation and mix of an old recipe I only half remembered and one found on allrecipes.com.


Hashbrown Egg Casserole
Ingredients
1 (32 ounce) package frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 eggs
1/2 cup water
1 can evaporated milk
½ onion chopped, cooked until soft


Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine hash browns, bacon, 1/2 cup cheese and salt. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
2. In a bowl, beat eggs, water, salt, pepper and evaporated milk milk until smooth.
3. Pour the egg and milk mixture over hash brown mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes until golden.
5. Top with the remaining cheese.


Reviews:
Oh, I love this for a change for supper. I rarely have the time or the desire to cook hashbrowns and bacon in the morning despite my love of them. This recipe is so simple and has endless changes that can be made to make it fit my mood for the day - adding vegetables such as chopped peppers, or switching the cheese. I do love a little jalapano montery jack in this - gives it a little kick. The egg taste is very mild to not really there (unless you are looking for it), which is a bonus for me.

No comments: