Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Velvet Cupcakes


I have always loved red velvet cupcakes, but never tried making them myself. When I saw the recipe for velvet cupcakes in Jamie Oliver’s new cookbook I thought I would give it a try. After a few batches and a couple of changes (due to the horribly dry climate I live in mostly) and a couple of “ooops” moments, here is what I ended up with.

Makes 12 cupcakes
¼ cup butter (rt)
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 lg egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp red food colour (optional)
2 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
1 ¼ cup flour
½ cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp white vinegar
3 tbsp oil


Directions:
Heat oven to 350F

1. Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. , Gently beat in egg, vanilla and food coloring.

2. Whisk together cocoa and four. Fold half into the butter mix, followed by buttermilk. Repeat for remaining flour and milk.

3. In a bowl mix the baking soda and vinegar, stir into cake mix.

4. Divide into 12 liners in muffin tins, bake for 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the pan then transfer to a wire rack.

Let cool before frosting.

Reviews:
Even after playing with the recipe, the cupcakes were denser than I would have liked. However I seem to be the only one that had an issue with the cupcakes - everyone else loved them (even when I had an oops moment and used apple cider vinegar!). This is a good cupcake, but won’t be my go to recipe.

No comments: